Home Forums StockChart Support problem with auto-calculation of viewportMinimum/Maximum for navigator

problem with auto-calculation of viewportMinimum/Maximum for navigator

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Despite the documentation saying that viewportMaximum and viewportMinimum are auto-calculated for the navigator:
    https://canvasjs.com/docs/stockcharts/stockchart-options/navigator/axisx/

Their values seem to remain constant even when we use the navigator to zoom into a very small region.
    See the following fiddle:
    https://jsfiddle.net/jcmalek/kjuhpgmr/18/

This can be very problematic for users as it becomes almost impossible to zoom into a small region using the navigator. For example, try zooming into the data of the attached fiddle using only the navigator.

This combined with my previously submitted bug of not being able to zoom into “open-ended” regions means that it is effectively impossible for a user to zoom into the given region.

I understand that I could potentially adjust the viewportMaximum and viewportMinimum of the navigator programatically/manually but for something that is supposed to be auto-calculated it would be nice if this just worked out of the box.

@scroteau,

Navigator is part of Stockchart and it shares the same x-axis range as the data present in all the charts. When navigator has different range than charts, it can’t give the preview of all the data present within the chart. When there is huge dataset, it might not be possible to zoom into smaller region using navigator. In such cases, you can use range-selector – either custom range buttons with smaller ranges or inputFields.

StockChart Elements

This combined with my previously submitted bug of not being able to zoom into “open-ended” regions means that it is effectively impossible for a user to zoom into the given region.

You can overcome this by setting minimum & maximum as addressed in the other topic.

Vishwas R
    Team CanvasJS

Yes, thank you. I am aware that there are a few other ways I could potentially work around the problem. You could perhaps consider this a feature request as it would be a much better user experience if the navigator automatically zoomed into small regions (as implied by the documentation).

@scroteau,

Thanks for your valuable feedback. We will reconsider this behavior in future.

Vishwas R
    Team CanvasJS

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.