Home Forums StockChart Support zoom into open-ended regions not working

zoom into open-ended regions not working

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

It appears that users can’t zoom into a region if it is “open-ended”.

JSFiddle: https://jsfiddle.net/jcmalek/cnhf8sbz/9/

For example (using my attached JSFiddle), if I start my zoom drag on “May 2019” and finish my zoom drag on “May 2020” then CanvasJS will refuse to zoom despite there being a sufficient number of points to zoom into.

This becomes an even bigger problem if the data is being loaded progressively because it is more likely that users will want to zoom into regions that have not yet been populated.

This can occur on either side of the graph and may possibly also occur if zooms are started on internal sections of the graph if there are gaps in the data.

Ideally the zoom should not depend on the data set at all. Only the selected region.

@scroteau,

Zoom / Pan behavior is designed such that zooming is limited upto a certain region, so that user doesn’t end up zooming into a blank-region (region with no dataPoints). To zoom into a certain region, there should be a minimum of 3-4 dataPoints over the axis. Please refer to this forum thread for more information. Also, one can’t zoom outside the actual axis range (minimum & maximum). In your case, it’s getting cancelled as zooming happens outside the axis range. You can handle this by setting minimum and maximum of charts based on navigator.

stockChart.charts[0].axisX[0].set("minimum", stockChart.navigator.axisX[0].get("minimum"), false);
    stockChart.charts[0].axisX[0].set("maximum", stockChart.navigator.axisX[0].get("maximum"));

Stockchart Different Dataset to Navigator
    Please take a look at this updated JSFiddle for working code.

Vishwas R
    Team CanvasJS

Yes, it makes sense why that wasn’t working now. I’ll adjust my code accordingly.

However, it could be nice if the chart’s automatic maximum/minimum calculation automatically took into account the navigator maximum/minimum. I was assuming that if a user was allowed to navigate into a certain region that they should also be able to zoom into that same region on the chart which I believe would be a reasonable assumption from a usage perspective.

You could perhaps consider this a minor bug or feature request.

Either way, this is no longer a priority for me as you suggested a simple workaround. Thanks!

So I’ve run into another bug in CanvasJS trying to get this to work.

It looks like there is a problem handling Dates on line 18304 of canvasjs.stock.js:

ERROR TypeError: (intermediate value)(intermediate value)(intermediate value).toFixed is not a function
    at Axis.CanvasJS.Chart.Axis.createLabels (c:\Users\CMalek\Desktop\Web-Client\src\assets\canvasJS\canvasjs.stock.js:18304:81)
    at Axis.CanvasJS.Chart.Axis.createLabelsAndCalculateHeight (c:\Users\CMalek\Desktop\Web-Client\src\assets\canvasJS\canvasjs.stock.js:18992:1)
    at Function.CanvasJS.Chart.Axis.setLayout (c:\Users\CMalek\Desktop\Web-Client\src\assets\canvasJS\canvasjs.stock.js:19200:1)
    at Chart.CanvasJS.Chart.Chart.setLayout (c:\Users\CMalek\Desktop\Web-Client\src\assets\canvasJS\canvasjs.stock.js:5228:1)
    at StockChart.CanvasJS.StockChart.StockChart.setChartsLayout (c:\Users\CMalek\Desktop\Web-Client\src\assets\canvasJS\canvasjs.stock.js:27341:1)
    at StockChart.CanvasJS.StockChart.StockChart.render (c:\Users\CMalek\Desktop\Web-Client\src\assets\canvasJS\canvasjs.stock.js:26909:1)
    at HistoryComponent.renderChart (c:\Users\CMalek\Desktop\Web-Client\src\app\history\history.component.ts:1041:27)
    at HistoryComponent.processDataPoints (c:\Users\CMalek\Desktop\Web-Client\src\app\history\history.component.ts:1036:12)
    at Object.next (c:\Users\CMalek\Desktop\Web-Client\src\app\history\history.component.ts:645:16)
    at Object.next (http://localhost:4200/vendor.js:150422:21) {stack: ‘TypeError: (intermediate value)(intermediate …t (http://localhost:4200/vendor.js:150422:21)’, message: ‘(intermediate value)(intermediate value)(intermediate value).toFixed is not a function’}

The problem appears to happen when “i” is a Date object. “i + this.interval” consequently does string concatenation instead of addition as I believe was intended. For Dates I believe the desired behavior would be new Date(i.getTime() + this.interval).

There also seems to be way to much happening on this single line. I highly recommend splitting it into several statements instead for readability and debug-ability. Something similar to the following might be a good starting point:

for (var j = firstBreakIndex, i = this.intervalStartPosition; i <= endPoint; ) {
    var intermediate = this.logarithmic && this.equidistantInterval ? i * Math.pow(this.logarithmBase, this.interval) : (i instanceof Date ? new Date(i.getTime() + this.interval) : i + this.interval);
    i = parseFloat(this.interval < 1E-12 || intermediate instanceof Date ? intermediate : intermediate.toFixed(12));
    etc.

@scroteau,

Can you kindly create sample project reproducing the issue you are facing and share it with us over Google-Drive or Onedrive so that we can run it locally at our end, understand the scenario better and help you out?

Vishwas R
    Team CanvasJS

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.