Home Forums Chart Support date time formatting issues

date time formatting issues

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Hi,

I’m plotting a graph of temp/humidity date against time, and the graph shows the time/dae in full ISO format when you mouse over it. I tried using valueFormatString to reduce this to just date and time (dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm), but it doesn’t work (doesn’t throw any errors either). I’m also trying to plot the labels on the x axis as just date (in a dd/mm/yyyy format) but this only functions for the initial date, and then reports the equivalent of a 0 (01/01/1970).

I thought it might be an issue with the formatting of my text in the csv file, so changed that to ISO format, as below.

Data is being read from a CSV file – format:
    “2016-04-05 23:03:00,20.8,54.60%”

Any help greatly appreciated!

fiddle of javascript
    https://jsfiddle.net/4ve2ow2t/

@mmfc,

In the JSFiddle that you have shared, we observe that the ISO-format for date-time that you are using is not proper [Correct Format – new Date(“YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SS”)]. Also the csv file is missing, because of which we are unable debug / understand the use-case properly. Passing proper date-time values should work fine in your case. Please refer this documentation page for more information on using date-time values. Please take a look at this JSFiddle for an example on using date-time values.
    chart with timestamp values on x axis

Vishwas R
    Team CanvasJS

I couldn’t work out a way to upload the csv file, but it follows the format as below: (if you can tell me how to upload it to the fiddle I will)

2016-04-05 23:03:00,20.8,54.60%

Inputting that date format into your code works, and prints the date as expected, so I’m unsure as to why it won’t with my code using the same formatting values?

@mmfc,

Can you kindly use this JSFiddle and reproduce the issue you are facing. The JSFiddle uses CSV data to render the chart.

Having a JSFiddle with the issue you are facing would help us understand the scenario better and help you resolve.

Vishwas R
    Team CanvasJS

Fiddle won’t let me use jquery.canvasjs.min.js as a http external resource (from here: https://cdn.canvasjs.com/jquery.canvasjs.min.js) so I can’t replicate the issue with my fiddle.

HOWEVER – copy and pasting my code incl the data into your fiddle replicates the issue. http://jsfiddle.net/4bc9v3hd/14/

Note how the tooltip shows the full ISO datetime (I am trying to make it show only the date and time) and the legend shows on 01/01/1970 for all points.

@mmfc

In the JSFiddle that you have shared, we observe that you are not providing x-values, because of which the date starts from Jan 1 1970 – as x-values are auto-assigned as 1,2,3,… internally. As the axis is dateTime axis, we suggest you to use intervalType along with interval to set the interval but to pass x-values.

Here is the working fiddle with formatted-labels in “DD/MM/YYYY” format.
    multi series chart with data from csv

Vishwas R
    Team CanvasJS

Brilliant, that has fixed the x axis issue. However the toltip still shows the full ISO date – I tried using xValueFormatString in data or valueFormatString in axisX to format this as “DD/MM/YYYY HH:mm” but neither affect it. Am i trying to format it in the wrong way?

Thanks!

@mmfc,

You can define the format of x-value shown in tooltip & indexlabels by setting xValueFormatString. However if you like to completely format / custom-content in the tooltip content, you can use toolTipContent.
    customizing tooltip content in a chart

Vishwas R
    Team CanvasJS

What is the syntax for formatting toolTipContent – i.e. {label} shows the same effect, {label: ‘formatstring’} shows no specific formatting either?

Further to that – using toolTip: {contentFormatter: function(e) {return CanvasJS.formatDate(e.value, "DD/MM/YYYY HH:mm");},
    formats it correctly, but removes the y value (and the {label} the value is now. Adding content: "{label}: {y}" doesn’t add the y value either.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by mmfc.
    • This reply was modified 8 years ago by mmfc.

I’ve mostly resolved my issue now –

toolTip: { contentFormatter: function(e) { return CanvasJS.formatDate(e.entries[0].dataPoint.label, "DD/MM/YYYY HH:mm")+": "+e.entries[0].dataPoint.y; },
    http://jsfiddle.net/4bc9v3hd/27/

Displays the text formatted correctly.

Could you point me in the direction of the colours etc to make it match the rest of theme1?

@mmfc,

You can customize & style the tooltip to fit in your requirements using properties like borderColor, fontColor and backgroundColor.

toolTip: {
    	borderColor: "#000000",
    	backgroundColor: "#F4D5A6",
    	fontColor: "#FAC003"
    }

Vishwas R
    Team CanvasJS

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.