Home Forums Report Bugs Column type performance

Column type performance

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

There seems to be a performance issue with column chart type.
    I have a chart with 500k+ data points.
    When rendering as a column chart, it takes move than 10 seconds to render.
    When rendering as a line chart, it takes less than a second, like the example here: https://canvasjs.com/docs/charts/intro/high-performance-javascript-charts/

To reproduce this problem, try changing the chart type in the example above to column.

damdai,

It is not suggested to use column charts for such huge number of dataPoint. Instead we suggest using Line or Area charts in these cases – column anyway would look like an area chart with such large number of dataPoints.

Sunil Urs

The difference is that the column chart can still show a different color for every data point which is visible with a large dataset, whereas the line and area charts will only show the datapoint color on mouseover.

In that case I would suggest filtering dataPoints to something below 10K because column charts are not meant to handle such large Data Sets. In any case when you have large number of dataPoints, columns will overlap and only a few (equal to number of pixels horizontally) of them would be visible. So you can filter them initially and then add more dataPoints when user zooms into a region using rangeChanging. Here is an example.

I’ll give that a shot. Thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.