Home Forums StockChart Support Why dates off by one with tooltips in stock charts?

Why dates off by one with tooltips in stock charts?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

On the Web site, there is a demo (randomly chosen):

https://canvasjs.com/javascript-stockcharts/candlestick-stockchart-range-selector/

If you put the tooltip over the last OHLC box on the right hand side, the tooltip box displays:

30 Jun 18
           Open: $453.29
           High: $455.87
           Low: $444.85
           Close: $451.43

This is an error.  The JSON file pointed to by the HTML page, on the server, has the following entry for 30 Jun 2018:

date: “2018-06-30”
          open: 434.6
          high: 462.49
          low: 434.5
          close: 453.29

This obviously does not correspond to the tooltip.  However, the tooltip does correspond to the following date:

date: “2018-07-01”
          open: 453.29
          high: 455.87
          low: 444.85
          close: 451.43

A lot of the demos, and the software I am writing, all have this same problem.
    The date in the tooltip box is off by one day.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong, or what is wrong with tooltip?

Thanks

@greg-aharonian,

JavaScript dates may display an incorrect day when passed in ISO format (YYYY-MM-DD), depending on the user’s time zone. According to MDN, date-only formats are interpreted as UTC time, and date-time formats are interpreted as local time when the time zone offset is absent. To avoid this problem, you can use date-time format or use a different date format along with time-zone. Please take a look at this JSFiddle for an example on the same.

Stockchart with date-time Data

Also, refer to this Stack Overflow thread for more information.

—-
    Manoj Mohan
    Team CanvasJS

The solution offered in the JSFiddle example does not work.

For the code I have created: http://www.kukaxoco.org/canvas2.html, I am now using the following coding as recommended by the JSFiddle example:

for(var i = 0; i < data.length; i++){
    dataPoints.push({x: new Date(data[i].date + “T00:00:00”), y: Number(data[i].close)});
    }

(I also tried hard-wiring the extra text into the JSON file:
    {“date”:”2019-01-01T00:00:00″,”open”:138.78,”high”:138.9,”low”:128.5,”close”:130.53,”volume_eth”:165355.78,”volume_usd”:22097680.63})

In both cases, the graph displays the correct OHLC for the last day of the file, 2019-01-01, but the tooltip displays as the date: “31 Dec 18”, the trading day before.

How can this be fixed?

Greg

Also another oddity:

My test file: kukaxoco.org/canvas2.html

opens in Firefox, but not in Safari or Chrome.

Greg

Also another oddity:

My test file: kukaxoco.org/canvas2.html

opens in Firefox, but not in Safari or Chrome.

Greg

Greg,

We tried creating chart with the sample JSON used by you and it seems to be working fine. Please take a look at the screenshot below where date in tooltip is shown as per the JSON data i.e. for 1st Jan 2019, closing value as 130.53.

StockChart with Date-Time Data showing tooltip

Also, check out this updated JSFiddle for the same.

—-
    Manoj Mohan
    Team CanvasJS

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.